The foundation of the College of Civil Engineering (CCE) of Chong Qing University (CQU) can be traced back to 1935, when the Department of Civil Engineering, the predecessor institution of CCE, together with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, made up the Engineering Faculty of CQU.
In 1952, the nationwide restructuring of higher education merged the civil engineering departments of the Chongqing University, the Southwest Industrial and Technical Institutes, the North Sichuan University, the South Sichuan Industrial and Technical Institutes, Chengdu College of Art，the Southwest College of Transportation Engineering, which led to the establishment of Chongqing Institute of Civil Engineering and Architecture on October 6, 1952. It was privileged to be amongst the first batch of state-approved higher education institutions. Later in the September of 1953, the civil engineering departments of Yunnan University and Guizhou University joined the institution as well.
In October 1953, the Chinese Ministry of Higher Education approved the restoration of the civil engineering department in the institution. On May 25 1954, the institution was renamed Chongqing Institute of Civil Engineering and Architecture，becoming the only one civil engineering oriented university in the Southwest China as well as the sole university affiliated with the Chinese Ministry of Construction at that moment. Between August 1954 and August 1954, the civil engineering department, for once, change its name to “Construction Department”. In the March 1985, it was renamed “Department of Architectural Engineering”. The department was afterwards upgraded to the Faculty of Architectural Engineering of Chongqing Architecture University (the former Chongqing Institute of Civil Engineering and Architecture).
In 2000, the former Chongqing University, Chongqing Architecture University and Chongqing Architectural...